Big Guts Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Tell us about yourself here

Old 13th April 2011, 09:39 PM
Regular Big Gut

Iggy is on a distinguished road
The pioneer GainerWeb

In the kind-of recent past I found out that GainRWeb.com seems to have been remade into a new website. Iím not sure how long this has been so, but I have a feeling that Iíve been unaware of this for a while.
Does anyone, here, get in there?

I am not a member, and Iím reluctant to make an account - I donít really like the idea of having a long list of internet memberships.
So, what is the gainrweb website like, what does it have in it? would appreciate any input on this!

In fact, as I wrote this, I found that the site does not seem to be working! Has something suddenly happened to it? Again, any input would be appreciated.
Old 15th April 2011, 04:48 PM
Regular Big Gut

diamone is on a distinguished road
Gain-R-Web a.k.a, Gainerweb a.k.a Bellybuilders

The original Gainrweb with one E has been offline for eons.
The ``new'' Gainerweb with two E was online briefly & merged with Bellybuilders years ago.
It's a free gainer chat. Nothing else. No membership required, free or otherwise.
Go to the webpage, scroll down to whatever kind fo chat you want and enter a handle.
It's just a chat.
Nothing else.
No profiles.
No webcams.
No way of connecting with anyone or anything other than when they are online.
No way of finding non-members who chat other than waiting for them to enter the room.

All the other gainer sites like the growingguts or the superbelly are either permanently offline already, or like this place, getting ready to be. For the 18+ crowd only, there's the Biggercity and the bear room at gay.com as the chub room is all spambots these days.

The chub room---and pretty much everything else at gayuniverse---is all spambots, and as there hasn't been any site maintenance for years, it's full of dead links and irrelevant information.

So, the gainer world is pretty much coming to a close online at least.

We're pretty much not welcome in the regular chub communities as most of them are trying to LOSE weight to go back to mainstream i e shallow gay society and not have to even be IN the chub community anymore in the first place or have to tolerate the overabundance of self loathing of the people therein in the second place.

Same with the bear community.
What started off as a blue collar masculine place for Real Men to connect with other Real Men has devolved into what can only be described as a bear-queen culture. The bear might be hairy and he might wear jeans and flannel, but instead of being able to fix your car or build you a patio deck, he can only give you a doctoral dissertation on interior decorating, doll repair, fashion design or theatrical production.

And then there's the otters i.e. skinny bears. More of the same.

As no new generation wants to take over the mantle and deal with the increasing headaches of site maintenance and spambot prevention, a segment of gay male society will soon be passing into the annals of gay history to be lost and forgotten forever.

And it's our own fault.

Same as engineers who are interested in preserving ancient technology for future generations to study. Engineers are generally older. fatter, hairier, smellier, more palefaced and less tolerant of their trainee engineers (when they can find any) nevermind the general public at large.

So, without disciples to train who can tolerate all of the above traits, the technology and the interest therefor falls out of interest, and when we die, our mothers sisters and daughters come in, call either the charity thrift shops or the dump to come and get all our ``crap'' and just throw it away just ``to get it out from underfoot.''

Same here.

Although beloved by many, there's been nobody of ``the new generation'' wanting to tolerate all of the above to keep the website and the culture going, therefore this too will soon pass into the annals of gay history shortly before Christmas 2011.

The only other thing out is the Expansion Event http://expansionevent.com/ which sort of grew out of what remained of what was once known as Encouragecon, which pretty much suffered the same fate.

Except from all reports, the Expansionevent is mostly cubicle warriors/other indoor types/introverts/insecures, etc the same as at MCA, (Oklahoma City) Big Ad Bash (Palm Springs) Convergence (varies) etc. etc. etc the patrons of which appear to need handholding and babysat by a staff of coordinators in order to be able to have a good time.

I'm sure you heard by now what happens over a period of a few years at the various chub events:

1. Attendance of chasers/younger guys falls because they can't afford admission hotel AND the event package.
2. Desperate older chubs start paying chasers and kids ways.
3. Kids get bored easy so after a couple years they start dropping their chubs off at their event and disappear downtown for the four days thereof, only showing back up at the airport just in time to fly home.
4. The mostly older chubs got tired of being used this way so one year without telling anybody, they only bought one way tickets for the kids while buying round trips for themselves.
5. Kids disappeared downtown just like before, except chubs left a day early stranding all the kids who all had to get home on their own dimes.
6. Instead of teaching kids a lesson, it backfired on all the chubs because now they couldn't even PAY kids and chasers to come to their event anymore.
7. So it went back to how it was in the beginning i.e. devolving back into an older chub-only gathering because nobody else could afford to go which is exactly what started this whole scenario in the first place and spending four days listening to grown men whine and complain about the lack of kids and chasers to invigorate the event.

I don't have to pay all my money and go all the way over there for that.
I can get it right here in any number of care centers for free.
And you wonder why so many over-40-age chub rehab centers are putting up their own Convergences etc right in their own dayrooms.

So when guys get to whining and complaining, center staff can go get their meds right away to shut em up.

So, pretty much, there's no place left anymore for your basic earthy, non-pretentious, blue collar bear gainer grunt who just wants to be himself and hang out anymore. Everytime someone tries to put one up, it's eventually taken over by all the other groups mentioned above.

So, enjoy it while you can before it too goes away. Or, step up, band together and try to save it from oblivion and being forgotten like most other chapters of gay history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
In the kind-of recent past I found out that GainRWeb.com seems to have been remade into a new website. I’m not sure how long this has been so, but I have a feeling that I’ve been unaware of this for a while.
Does anyone, here, get in there?

I am not a member, and I’m reluctant to make an account - I don’t really like the idea of having a long list of internet memberships.
So, what is the gainrweb website like, what does it have in it? would appreciate any input on this!

In fact, as I wrote this, I found that the site does not seem to be working! Has something suddenly happened to it? Again, any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by diamone; 15th April 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 17th April 2011, 06:55 PM
Graduating Big Gut

nkouraged is on a distinguished road
I think that it would be well worth it for you to visit www.beefyfrat.com, www.bellybuilders.com, and especially www.grommr.com to connect with the community that exists right now.

A first-hand experience is better than counting on the opinions of others who may be biased in their personal interactions with the community.

Expansion has been running for four years running, and despite a couple of naysayers, the community is continuing to coalesce around small gatherings based on camaraderie. There are other smaller gatherings taking place more and more often around the U.S., and they're advertised with a great response. Some cities have better networked communities than others, and social media has helped a lot in that regard.

The generation gap is not so wide now that the community is meeting offline, though there will always be the dissatisfied.

Every community has its dark spots, and there are those who will always focus on the negative bits.

Please come see for yourself. You can contact me, and I can introduce you to most of what you might encounter. YIM: judas_loves_me
Old 18th April 2011, 08:22 PM
Regular Big Gut

Iggy is on a distinguished road
I still have the hope that Big Guts wonít close.

I never heard of the other places mentioned - maybe for good reason. I do not want to get too off-track -- I am not sure of the (whole) truth of what you said, but what is meant by ďitís our own fault?Ē

Now, I assumed that Gainer(R)Web was like a second Belly builders; that still had photos and information, and various sections, up to recently. You said that the Gainerweb (with two ĎEís) was merged with Belly builders years ago, with no membership needed. But fairly recently in the last year, I remember Gainerweb.com having a requirement to fill in a log-in form to get to the website. It seemed like the website had been redesigned. Now it seems like it is gone, and I was surprised to just find out now.
Old 31st August 2011, 04:17 AM
Junior Big Gut

georgia is on a distinguished road
Not a lot out there that survives long unless it's on an art site like devianart or writing.com
Old 17th December 2012, 09:26 AM
Junior Big Gut

Shadow is on a distinguished road
Sadly true, looks like most gainers went to grommr and the artists went to deviantart
Old 12th August 2013, 08:20 PM
Junior Big Gut

AmazinGrowth is on a distinguished road
I've noticed a massive slowdown and site abandoning. Gainerweb was one of my favorites back in the day and was initially how i discovered my interest in this topic. It's hard to find bits and pieces from way back. Hopefully new websites will pop up like it used to.