Big Guts Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Tell us about yourself here

Closed Thread

Old 28th November 2006, 05:11 AM
tdjhg

Thread Closings

You guys need to loosen up. There is no need to close every second thread. It stifles discussion and makes the board die. No one wants to read 6 month old stuff or search down 50 pages of threads to find info.
Old 28th November 2006, 10:51 AM
Retired Staff Member

Omniscient is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjhg View Post
No one wants to read 6 month old stuff or search down 50 pages of threads to find info.
Yes, that actually makes sense...
We've been a bit harsh in closing threads, I'll try and be better

And to the mods, if you really need to close a thread in which someone asks for advice, don't just close it. But link to the other thread and then close it.
Old 28th November 2006, 02:05 PM
FatMike

I apologize if any of my closings have being harsh, but almost all of them have being legit in some way. For the record I will continue to close every thread advertising a "body fat calculator" because unless you have your body fat professionally tested then then the calculators are all guesswork and could be up to 10% inaccurate. They are also unsuitable for people under 18, I have hypothetically filled out one before and ended up with negative body fat for a Tall, Skinny teenager.

Also, we are beginning to work on a Stickied FAQ full of Gaining tips & information collected from all the previous threads we have had that can be on the top of this board. This should point most people in the right direction, and stop us from seeing these help threads every couple of days. Hopefully we can get it finished by next week.
Old 28th November 2006, 04:44 PM
Awesome Big Gut

Fat Nat is on a distinguished road
I don't want to seem preachy, but in my (moderately substantial) experience of moderating a message board I've found that most people don't need such a strong guiding hand - the vast majority, even kids, is capable of reading material and then deciding whether it's legitimate or otherwise. What's wrong with posting links to body fat calculators, for example? Does it matter that they give incorrect info? Even 'professional' testing isn't all that accurate. Most people would regard it as a bit of fun and even if they are wildly inaccurate they're not going to encourage long term lifestyle changes in anybody!

Generally the only moderating that is needed to keep a place clean and running smoothly is pruning in instances when someone posts information that is too personal on the board (i.e. phone number, postal address), material that contains genital nudity or particularly rude comments - those are just quite rude should possibly be allowed to stay. (Why shouldn't someone be able to criticise, anyway?) And perhaps in one or two other instances. Sorry if it seems like I'm being patronising, but I found that this approach was the least antagonising and usually the most stimulating for dealing with FatNat's back in the day (long before you were around, when it was still a cool place). You've got a similar crowd here so why not give it a try?
Old 28th November 2006, 04:50 PM
Big_fat_kiddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Nat View Post
I don't want to seem preachy, but in my (moderately substantial) experience of moderating a message board I've found that most people don't need such a strong guiding hand - the vast majority, even kids, is capable of reading material and then deciding whether it's legitimate or otherwise. What's wrong with posting links to body fat calculators, for example? Does it matter that they give incorrect info? Even 'professional' testing isn't all that accurate. Most people would regard it as a bit of fun and even if they are wildly inaccurate they're not going to encourage long term lifestyle changes in anybody!

Generally the only moderating that is needed to keep a place clean and running smoothly is pruning in instances when someone posts information that is too personal on the board (i.e. phone number, postal address), material that contains genital nudity or particularly rude comments - those are just quite rude should possibly be allowed to stay. (Why shouldn't someone be able to criticise, anyway?) And perhaps in one or two other instances. Sorry if it seems like I'm being patronising, but I found that this approach was the least antagonising and usually the most stimulating for dealing with FatNat's back in the day (long before you were around, when it was still a cool place). You've got a similar crowd here so why not give it a try?

I'm sorry I have to say this, but that kind of Moderating didn't really help make your site a better place now did it?

Last edited by Big_fat_kiddo; 28th November 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 28th November 2006, 07:18 PM

Guts is on a distinguished road
The moderating team here do an excellent job which I appreciate in many ways, and I fully support any decision they make regarding closing of threads.

Weight Conversion
Old 28th November 2006, 08:00 PM
Retired Staff Member

Omniscient is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
The moderating team here do an excellent job which I appreciate in many ways
Oh^^

*dies... ...of joy*

Last edited by Omniscient; 28th November 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 28th November 2006, 10:38 PM
Big_fat_kiddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
The moderating team here do an excellent job which I appreciate in many ways, and I fully support any decision they make regarding closing of threads.
Thank you
Old 29th November 2006, 01:53 AM
Senior Big Gut

MCR Fan is on a distinguished road
I dunno, I think deleting a repeat thread is better than just closing it. Closing it makes the mod team look kinda harsh I think. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad to me.

Normally the kind of moderating that Fat Nat is talking about works. I was an admit on a forum for a couple of years that was run like that, and we just recently died after about 3 years of being online.
Old 29th November 2006, 09:14 AM
FatMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_fat_kiddo View Post
I'm sorry I have to say this, but that kind of Moderating didn't really help make your site a better place now did it?
Hes talking about the Circa 1998-2002 Fatnats, which was actually moderated quite well when I first stumbled across it.
Most of the time that site was run just fine, the current day Fatnats as we know is run by someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts
he moderating team here do an excellent job which I appreciate in many ways, and I fully support any decision they make regarding closing of threads.
Thanks Guts - Its good to have full support on the decisions we make, especially when it could be borderline wrong like some may have thought on the closing of threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR Fan
I dunno, I think deleting a repeat thread is better than just closing it. Closing it makes the mod team look kinda harsh I think. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad to me.
We do that anyway, Its just that we generally have almost 24hr moderation that allows us to quickly delete any obvious problem threads. We only close and explain to get the message across to people who find the threads and want to be pointed in the right direction.
Closed Thread