Big Guts Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Big Guts Discussion Forum > Big Guts Discussions > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic Discussions About Anything

Closed Thread

Old 28th January 2007, 03:21 AM
Junior Big Gut

Atharel is on a distinguished road
A spam thread?

The forum I come from had a great thing called a spam thread.In the spam thread you could say anything,even random giberish.So.....what do you guys think?
Old 28th January 2007, 03:35 AM
FatMike

No.

Your just opening yourself up to obvious trouble in first moderating,
and second controlling all the people who just want to get above the 7 post limit for content on the site
and third, we delete enough spam as it is here, especially when a lot of people here would probably be obsessed with there post counts.
It could be done here, but we would have to make the Off Topic board not add to your post count, and since there is other meaningful, off topic threads in here we are not going to be doing that just yet.

Thread Closed.

Last edited by FatMike; 28th January 2007 at 03:40 AM.
Old 28th January 2007, 10:14 AM
Retired Staff Member

Omniscient is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochan View Post
and second controlling all the people who just want to get above the 7 post limit for content on the site
Au contraire.
In forums that have them, spam sections usually do not help the post count at all.
I think it's a rather good idea.
Old 28th January 2007, 10:21 AM
FatMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Au contraire.
In forums that have them, spam sections usually do not help the post count at all.
I think it's a rather good idea.
I dont think with vBulletin you can just turn off the post count for one thread only, rather just the entire board that its in, which is the reason why I denounced it. If we could get that set-up so its just the one thread, it would more likely be a workable and good idea. I mean we could do a Spam Board instead, but thats something to discuss at another time It would sure increase activity I presume.

Last edited by FatMike; 28th January 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 28th January 2007, 11:36 AM
Retired Staff Member

Omniscient is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochan View Post
I dont think with vBulletin you can just turn off the post count for one thread only, rather just the entire board that its in, which is the reason why I denounced it. If we could get that set-up so its just the one thread, it would more likely be a workable and good idea. I mean we could do a Spam Board instead, but thats something to discuss at another time It would sure increase activity I presume.
Well, from what I've understood so far, and by own experience. vBulletin does allow for the post count to be disabled in a single board.
Old 28th January 2007, 03:20 PM
Big_fat_kiddo

Every Forum Software has those options, even the free ones. Since vBulletin IS the best one around, it should be there.
Old 28th January 2007, 06:35 PM

Guts is on a distinguished road
Just for the record, post counts can be turned off per forum - ie this 'off topic' forum could be set to not increment a users count after a post is made.

Weight Conversion
Closed Thread